Marengo County Commission honors long-time employee, votes to revoke liquor, lounge licenses
The July Marengo County Commission meeting was another short one as the Commission moved through the agenda quickly. The highlight of the meeting was the presentation of a plaque to Joan Daniels who is retiring from the Road Department after thirteen years of service.
“We want to thank you for all that you’ve done for us and we will miss you,” said Commission Chairman Jason Windham.
Under department reports, Engineer Ken Atkins announced that the Rebuild Alabama transportation plan will be presented at the August meeting. Atkins will meet with the Commission beforehand to discuss what he has planned for the next Rebuild Alabama Act.
EDA Director Jo Ellen Martin announced that Calvin Burroughs, the Public Information Officer for the Alabama USDA Rural Development Office, has agreed to visit Marengo County on Thursday, July 22 to hold a meeting at Rooster Hall in Demopolis. Martin said she has had inquiries from some of the mayors and residents in the county about RISE grants (Rural Innovation Stronger Economy) or the new American Recovery Action Plan and how the funds can be used by the county. Burroughs will be at Rooster Hall at 1:30 p.m.
Other items discussed by the Commission:
- Established County Levies for New ABC License Types
- Approved the revocation of business license of Patrick Price. This comes as a response to the recent death of a minor at the Magnolia Bar and Grill.
- Approved accepting bids at the August Commission meeting for Solid Waste Disposal
- Approved an agreement for the use of facilities for the American National Red Cross
- Approved a Shelby Tubberville for the Road Department. Tubberville will take over for Joan Daniels.
- The Marengo County Commission meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 9 a.m.
Back Water Boat Rentals ribbon cutting at Kingfisher Bay Marina. Back Water Boat Rentals held a ribbon-cutting ceremony last Thursday,... read more