Demopolis council approves mask ordinance
The Demopolis City Council has passed a mask ordinance requiring people to wear a mask or covering while in public places.
Failure to comply with the ordinance will result in a $25 fine.
The city’s mask ordinance follows a state order by the governor for masks to be worn in public.
The ordinance will remain in place until midnight on August 20 unless the council votes to extend it.
Some exceptions include children under the age of 2, eating and drinking, medical examinations/procedures, hair care services, places of worsihp, or as a matter of personal safety.
Businesses may develop their own policies unless ordered by state health officials.
The measure passed 4-1 with Bill Meador voting against it.
Other items discussed by the council include the following.
• Recognized Becky Jordan who donated $5,000 to implement a water safety program through the Theo Ratliff Center.
• As a follow-up to a request by resident Richard Fountain, Projects Manager Mike Baker said he has ordered test kits to examine the water quality of a ditch near Ash Avenue.
• The council heard a request from West Alabama Public Transportation Director Bobby Armstead requesting $10,800 to help in matching funds for the purchase of a vehicle. After discussion the measure was approved.
• The council approved allowing a law firm recommended by the League of Municipalities to establish a franchise agreement between the city and Demopolis Cable TV.
• The council approved a total of $1,000 for wood fencing along a retaining wall on Arch Street was approved.
• Drew Martin was approved as a member of the city’s Library Board.
• A street light was approved for an area on A Street.
• City Clerk Sam Gross was approved to perform duties associated with the municipal election and compensation was approved for an absentee election manager.
• New Demopolis Area Chamber of Commerce Director David Lyons was introduced.
The next meeting of the city council will be Thursday, August 6, 5:15 p.m., at Rooster Hall. The public is invited to attend.