Guest Column: Prevent coronavirus in schools with these tips
The leaders and administration of the Demopolis City School System are operating under the guidance of the Alabama State Department of Education and the Alabama Department of Public Health in regards to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). At this time, we are not aware of any Coronavirus cases in our school system or the area which we serve. At this point, we are asking you to take similar safety precautions that one would take during flu season. Below are a few reminders and tips that can help us be proactive and keep our students safe from viruses.
Stay Home When Sick
- Students and staff who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness should stay home and not come to school until they are free of fever (100 degrees or greater using an oral thermometer), signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever reducing or other symptom-altering medicines.
- Seek immediate medical care if symptoms become severe, such as high fever or difficulty breathing.
Use Respiratory Etiquette
- Cover cough with a tissue or sleeve.
- Keep tissues within easy reach and use no-touch trash cans.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching face with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
For more information you can contact ADPH at (334) 206-5971 or visit the ADPH website at http://alabamapublichealth.gov/infectiousdiseases/2019-coronovirus.html.
Kyle Kallhoff, Superintendent of Education
Demopolis City School System